If you have never worked with a financial advisor, then you may be wondering why start now. The truth is that having a guide, a coach, a confidant, a voice of reason... can make the process of setting financial goals, tracking your progress, and managing your investments less stressful and often more successful. We hire people with specialized knowledge and skills all the time. Have a plumbing problem, you call a plumber. Have a medical issue, you call a doctor. Want to get in shape, you hire a personal trainer. We know when we are over our head in so many areas of our life, yet many people continue to “do-it-yourself” when it comes to finances and investments.
Do you need an Advisor?
Consider our Five Part Test. If you can confidently answer all five questions, then you are certainly a do-it-yourselfer. If not, it might be time for professional advisor.
1. Knowledge – Do you know how to create a financial plan or how much to save for retirement? Do you know what your financial goals are and how to attain them?
2. Skill – Do you know how to choose appropriate investments for your risk tolerance and life goals?
3. Time – Do you have the time to open your accounts, allocate your investments, and review your selections no less than once a year.
4. Commitment – Will you stay engaged in your financial plan and do it right over the long term.
5. Support – Do you have someone you share ideas with and help you make smart financial decisions?
How an Advisor can help…
Knowledge - An advisor can review your current financial situation and your financial goals; then, help you devise a plan to get you where you want to go
Skills - An Advisor can research and recommend specific investment options based on your plan, your risk tolerance, and time horizon.
Time - An Advisor can help you implement your investment strategy by setting up your accounts and allocating your funds.
Commitment - An Advisor can help you monitor your progress and manage your investments.
Support - An advisor collaborates with you over time to help you make smart decisions about investments and your finances.